[TenTec] Superhet Receiver Types?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Superhet Receiver Types?
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 22:31:45 -1000
Hi Bob,

I have a question about terminology. Do I have this right? A "single conversion superheterodyne receiver" that does not have a DSP detector has a 1st local oscillator that mixes the incoming signal down to the 1st (and only) IF, and if in CW or SSB mode there is a BFO that then converts the IF to audio. In AM mode just a detector. And if it uses IF DSP there is an ADC that digitizes the IF for digital filtering and detection. So a "single conversion" superhet actually has two heterodyne conversions (and two local oscillators, the BFO being the second) when it is operating CW or SSB, if it is does not have DSP at the IF.

A "direct conversion" superhet just has one local oscillator and converts the incoming signal directly to audio.

Have I got this right?

Or if it has IF DSP and no BFO, is it then "direct conversion", or still "single conversion" or both?

DE N6KB

Bob Henderson wrote:

Single coversion superhets are inompatible with the roofing filter concept.
The filters in the K2 are those necessary to define the working bandwidth of
the receiver.