Re: [TenTec] Re: Orion qsk and 425

To: <k2xx@swva.net>, <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: Orion qsk and 425
From: "bob finger" <finger@goeaston.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 13:00:55 -0400
Hi Joe:  and I sent you an answer directly.

I'll try again as I do not have the original message I sent.  Plus I am
copying the reflector.

I use the ptt outputs of the Orion.  Menu sets for Orion are:

menu = tx = keying loops 1 and 2 off; ext t/r delay 1 and 2 at 50%
mernu=cw=cw qsk delay 70%; ssb = cw jack ptt off; ptt in cw as key

for my pc I let it just run in cw, and I can use either ptt or vox in ssb

This way the Orion works as normal in cw with a bit of delay at the end but
not enuff to harm anything.  It keeps the relays in the 425 (and in the
alpha 78) from following keying.  I do not use qsk at all with the Orion and
the amps.  I can also hit the footswitch and lock the key for tuning.  It is
very easy using N1MM logger.  I type in cw, then hit the footswitch to tune
and then type lsb/usb to go back to ssb if I started there.

The Orion and 425 work together (or did with early firmware!) I have not
tried it with 1.371 and know others are having difficulty with the 425 and
Orion using 1.371 firmware.  TT is working on the problem.

The other problem with Orion and 425 is output power overshoot.  If I am
running the 425 right at the high edge ie grid current at about max then the
first dit or two will overshoot and overdrive the 425.  I have to turn the
Orion output power down about 5 watts to keep that from happening.  The
difference in output power is minimal so no big deal.  Without the grid
overdrive led tho, one would never know it was happening.  I have a grid
overdrive protection circuit built in, and it can trip the amp off....so I
am careful to set the output power of the Orion before keying the amp.  I
have to set the Orion ouput on 160/80cw to 25 watts and on 40 cw to 40 watts
to avoid initial overdrive.  (I use the alpha 78 on the high bands)

IMO real qro qsk can only be had by using a separate tx/rx and rx antenna.
No clicking/clacking or anything else.  The only other solution is a pin
diode switch, but that is another set of challenges.  The Ameritron qsk
switch does work quite well but is very susceptible to transients on the
feedlines. The only time I would want true qsk is traffic handling, and I do
not do that anymore!

Hope this helps.   73 bob de w9ge