[TenTec] Re: Orion qsk and 425

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Orion qsk and 425
From: Lee Crocker <w9oy@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 20:47:49 -0700 (PDT)
I've used the Ameritron boards in 6 amps over the
years starting with the old PIN5 board and now the
newer QSK5.  Presently I have 3 amps using this board.
 One uses the outboard switch one uses the inboard
QSK5 and one uses the PIN5.  The pin 5 had the first
switching transistor that drew too much current and
would blow.  The QSK 5 has never given me any trouble
either outboard or inboard.

You do have to be careful of SWR with this setup if
you are running power.  High SWR mixed with high power
will blow this thing up.  I can run considerably more
power than this switch is rated for and I never run
more than about 75% of the specification and keep the
SWR below 1.5.

If the switching signal to the board becomes
disconnected and you transmit, it will blow the "bulb"
fuses and this could be a source of RF back into the
front end of the radio especially if the "bulbs" have
been somehow defeated.  I have heard of this being
done when a bulb was not handy for replacement with
disastrous result.

I have gotten to the point where I don't even think
about this anymore when operating.  The Ameritron
boards have proven to be very reliable especially the
QSK5 board.  The electronic bias switch on this board
works well also.  I do disconnect the antennas from
the rigs when I am not operating.

73  W9OY