Re: [TenTec] Ringing in Filters at High Speed CW

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ringing in Filters at High Speed CW
From: "Tommy" <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 06:13:08 -0400
Morning Al,

Hmmmm...ringing? Don't think I've ever noticed that in my (previous) IC-781,
Corsair 2, or Omni 6. Course, my hearing is probably not the best for  high
frequency audio range.

Most of the time I would run  with 500Hz filters, depending somewhat on band
condx. Much over 70 wpm, your so heavily concentrated on the copy, that you
kinda 'weed out' things that you don't want to hear, so if the filters do
ring, they are just ignored, but honestly, I've not encountered filter
ringing in  these rigs. But since my health problems and two years off,
right now I can only copy around 80 wpm. And now day's there is no one to
practice with to try and get that back. I think it's pretty fascinating what
the brain does when you start copying much over 70 wpm, you really do get
focused and the things that 'bother' you at, say, 30 wpm, just become a
non-factor. The Orion would be a ideal radio for QRQ, it's rcvr is
excellent...just too bad it will not send CW correctly over 40 wpm.

By the way Al, much over 70 wpm and your not really conscious of hearing
dots and dashes, much less hearing anything in between them! It's really
interesting because while you are not conscious of the dots and dashes (your
copying words, not characters), if the sending station makes a typo, the
error pop's right out to you, but as long as he is not making errors, you
dont notice the spelling!

Tom - W4BQF