Re: [TenTec] ORION QRQ tests

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION QRQ tests
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:17:34 -1000
Thanks for the well described tests and results. As a non Orion owner, and perhaps a future Orion owner, I have a few questions and comments.

Does Orion have a semi-breakin mode or some other less than full QSK mode? If so, how does QRQ performance in that mode compare to performance in full QSK mode?

Others have already pointed out that there are possible timing errors in the keying input, and that in order to be sure we are really analyzing what the Orion does, we need to be sure we really know what the input is. It sounds like you are pretty confident that the timing of the keying input is correct, and the comparison with the Omni VI is a good verification. Another method is to use a dual trace o'scope with one channel monitoring the keying input line and the other channel monitoring the RF output. This way we can see whether the RF out of the rig accurately represents the keying input, even if the keying input is not properly generated code. This is the setup ARRL uses in their rig reveiws. It is easiest to see what is going on with the first few code elements this way, and harder to detect lost elements far into a transmission. A digital storage o'scope would be nice for this. Most of us probably don't have one laying around the shack though. Maybe someone who has access to a digital storage scope with PC interface and appropriate software, and an Orion can make these tests.

DE N6KB