[TenTec] Re: interface Orion with Writelog

To: tentec@contesting.com, writelog@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Re: interface Orion with Writelog
From: WB3LGC@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 21:03:24 EDT
I often see a request for help, but when you do a search of the contest.com
archives, no results are found.  So I am providing my own reply to help others.
 I did get a few direct replies that were helpful, too.

I am using WriteLog with a ten-tec Orion and a MicroHAM USB to DB9
interface.  I knew the Orion and WriteLog are OK, as I used a USB cable with
RTS/CTS and it works.  I knew the DB9-E is OK, as I made a âloop backâ for
the DB9 connector pin 2 and 3 to make WriteLog think is was seeing the Orion.
I purchased a DB9-E (Elecraft) rather then the DB9-T for Ten-Tec because the â
Eâ had RCA connector for PTT and the Orion adapter cable also used RCA for
PTT and audio.  It looked to me like the DB9-T has jumpers between RTS and CTS
and/or ground to make the Orion talk? (fake out RTS and CTS). So I emailed
support@microham.com and within 20 minutes I got a reply from Jozef OM7ZZ.
Yes, a
jumper is needed between RTS and CTS (Pin 7 and 8), but use only with the
Orion and not the Elecraft.  I made the upgrade and rig and computer now talk.
Maybe I should have purchased the âTâ version first and changed the PTT
connector to RCA, but it was easier adding the jumpers after all is said and
done.

BTW, I looked inside the MicroHAM usb to db9 box and it is very well made.  I
like the LEDâs on the front panel.  They helped determine I was talking to
the Orion and verified the âloop backâ was working.  I remember the âold
daysâ
of computer lights blinking at high rates and being able to tell what was
going onâ  The LEDâs help!

73, Steve WB3LGC