Re: [TenTec] New to the list--Orion questions

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New to the list--Orion questions
From: "Bernard(wtrone)" <wtrone@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:05:53 -0500
    Hi Don:

        I have never used an ICOM 756 so I can't comment on its relative
operation.  My new Orion replaced a Yaesu FT-1000.  The FT-1000 with a
NIR-12 DSP was a mighty fine rig, but I think that the Orion is superior.
I've only had the Orion about 5 months and am still learning how to use it.

        I can say that I often don't use the bandscope because I don't think
that it adds a whole lot to my operation.  Its resolution is poor and
response is slow.  I have seen comments on this thread that would indicate
the Orion sometimes malfunctions with the scope on.  Turning the scope off
eliminates the problems.  I don't know if this issue was corrected in the
latest version of the software or not.  I never had that problem with the
scope on.  I would not be surprised to see TenTec modify and improve its
operation in the near future.

        There is no video output as you define it.  However, it could be
that TenTec may modify the rig in the future to add this feature.

        I strongly suspect that the RF feedback problems were a function of
poor grounding.  I use the Orion with an Alpha 87A amplifier and have had no
RF feedback problems.  But, I have attempted to install and use a "proper"
ground system.

        I am a satisfied Orion user.  I think that I made a step up when I
went from the FT-1000 to the Orion.

        Good Luck to you on whatever you decide.

                73,

                Bernard, WA4OEJ