Re: [n4pysoftware] Re: [TenTec] New to the list--Orion questions(Sweep F

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [n4pysoftware] Re: [TenTec] New to the list--Orion questions(Sweep Function)
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 12:58:34 -0400
Duane, I'm most appreciative for your advice. I just bought this used unit and got it on the air this week. I was about to open it up and go through the tune-up procedure in the manual. It does seem to be working reasonably well. I have to put in an A/B switch so I can compare it with my FT-736R.

73,

Joe

Duane Grotophorst wrote:

Joe,

You might want to increase the RX IF output level of
the transverter slightly. Be careful though to not
advance it too far. The best way to setup the DEMI
transverters is to peak the noise level of the GaAs
FET input stage of the transverter (covered in the
DEMI documentation). The noise peak as you may recall
from the DEMI documentation is also very close to the
best noise figure point. It is the best NF point that
we are interested in. You would need good test
equipment to improve it beyond just peaking the
background noise.

Once that is set then set the transverters RX IF gain
pot such that the receivers background noise rises
just perceptably when you turn the transverter on.
Anything more than that will be detrimental to the
strong signal dynamic range of the transverter/IF
radio system, and anything less will not provide the
full available sensitivity of the transverter.

Duane
N9DG
EN53bj

--- Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net> wrote:

Carl, before I send you on a wild goose chase, I am
in error. The sweep works on 6M. However, I wasn't seeing the usual
ragged noise baseline that I observe on HF. The sensitivity may also be
worse on 6M, because I thought I had heard several weak sigs that weren't
displayed by the sweep. I will double check today. This morning I
was observing some strong local sigs without problems.

Sorry about the bad info.

73, Joe