Re: [TenTec] Foot switch advice

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Foot switch advice
From: K4IA@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 23:50:59 EDT
The Heil is very stiff and has a long "throw."  It is so stiff, I don't think
you could push it with your toes.  You are supposed use it backwards, that
is, the heel is pressed down.  By the time you lift up your heel, you need a
lot
of clearance (6 inches or more) under the desk or you bump your leg on the
bottom of the desk.  I get tired stomping on it and I have strong legs.

The Radio Shack version is much easier on the legs but only has one set of
contacts so you lose that slight advantage of being able to key the amp a
little
sooner.  The RS version is smaller and tends to wander around.

Personally, I have abandoned the foot switch idea and gone to a hand held
push-button.  Just make up a cable with a push-button and about 6 inches of
heat
shrink to give it strength on the joint and something to hold on to.  It will
fit in your hand easy enough to type on the keyboard at the same time you are
holding it and push with your thumb.  Thus, you have both hands available for
logging which is the whole point of a foot switch in the first place.

Radio k4ia
"Buck"
Fredericksburg, Virginia USA