[TenTec] footswitch

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] footswitch
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 13:38:38 +0000
I have tried the Heil FS1 and FS2. I found the FS2 kind of clunky and hard to use. The travel is so great that it takes a lot of effort to transmit and receive if you are in a roundtable with a lot of rapid switching. Also, there were times when I didn't engage it all the way (note that anyone running a ten tec rig with the keying loop should not need one) and I have heard that some guys have had the cords short out on it. I finally made up rig to amp keying lines (this means having to solder DIN plugs for kenwoods) and went back to the FS1 which is smaller, has less travel, and only one cord. I actually like it better but unfortunately Heil does not make it anymore.

I have to confess that I am not comfortable with footswitches and most of the time pick up the FS1 and switch it by hand. If it ever wears out I will do what Grant did and make a hand switch. The footswitch is nothing more than a microswitch inside a hinged box with the phono cord coming in and some strain relief. Making a handswitch should be cheap and easy.

Rob/K5UJ