[TenTec] Jupiter vs other rigs in same price range

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Jupiter vs other rigs in same price range
From: Charles Greene <W1CG@QSL.NET>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 16:53:38 -0400
Hi,

Our club is considering buying a Jupiter. I have never seen one, let alone operated one. We plan to get and show the company video on it. Other rigs under consideration are an ICOM 746PRO and a K2/100. Important features are the ability of new/non-technical hams to operate, performance in field day or a field day type environment with another rig on adjacent bands, filters, DPS NR and ability to operate CW (preferably QSK), phone and digital. I have a K2/100 and borrowed a IC746PRO to set it aside the K2/100 and do an A/B comparison. I know spec wise, the K2 has the best receiver in most things important, but specs aren't all the game. I used my K2/100 on last field day, and other operators had no problems with most things, but DSP was not one of them; too hard to operate its DSP NR. The previous two years, I used my OMNI-VI for field day, but it had some problems in the field day environment. You couldn't read the dial in sunlight for one.

How does the Jupiter stack up against the two aforementioned rigs?

TNX for the information