Re: [TenTec] Re: Rig standardization

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: Rig standardization
From: Steve Muldoon <stevemuldoon@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 21:17:52 -0400
Hi Stuart -

Your comments are on the mark. What you are suggesting is exactly the direction automobile manufacturers have been moving for electrical connectors. Much of this activity is being led by the USCAR organization in the US. OEMs are beginning to understand the overall benefit (economic and engineering system design) of electrical connector standardization across the OEMs in certain areas or for particular applications.

However, I think that the accessory market is probably one area that is lucrative in amateur radio, so part and connection scheme proliferation plays into that business model.

(To keep this focused on Ten Tec) - I think their approach of keeping most of the I/O simple and accessible with commonly available (and available from multiple sources) types of connectors makes sense. If we could only get the "other" guys to do it like Ten Tec (hihi).

Just my 2 cents.

Steve - N8KOM