Re: [TenTec] new owner Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] new owner Orion
From: "Ron Notarius" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 18:13:17 -0400
Jim,

I would agree with you that a good manual should be part and parcel with a
succesful product.

However... I guess I was a little too subtle with my comment.  Let me
rephrase:  I've read quite a bit of kvetching on this here reflector from a
selected sampling of Orion owners (how big a sample I don't know).  So if
the manual or manuals (shipped & on-line) are so terrible, why hasn't
someone experienced with the radio come out with a better one, at least from
a "this is how you use it" standpoint?

I'm asking this purely from a hypothetical standpoint.  I've had the
pleasure, thanks to my friend W3WH, of using his Orion on quite a few
occasions since he got it last year.  I have yet to even see, let alone look
at, the manual.  And while Bill has shown me a few things, mainly in how to
access menus to set code speed or filters, I found most of the operation of
the radio to be pretty intuitive.  Sure would love to have one!  (Of course,
I'd love to have a real shack of my own again first, but that's another
story!)