RE: [TenTec] Those newish inverter type generators

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Those newish inverter type generators
From: "KD4GT" <csegar@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:28:52 -0400
As of yet, I have not used the EU3000is model of Honda's 'inverter' line of
generators. However, I have literally hundreds of hours or operating
experience with the EU1000i and recently, the EU2000i models. All of this
operation is in the commercial relm at 900MHz so any
"birdies/hash/buscuits/gravy" at 7242Kcs is somewhat of an unknown! ;-)
I have also done VHF-UHF contesting with an EU1000i running a 6m station
with a 3CX800 final amp by driving the generator output thru a 1.4Kw UPS.
This cured the problem of voltage sag when the amp was keyed - a problem
contestors have even when running 6.5Kw generators.
The real beauty of the 1Kw & 2Kw is in the ability to get 'extended' run
time from them. For some reason, my company wants me to be able to deploy
multiple of these to sites during a power outage and not spend lots of
overtime having me sit on site refilling them every 5~6 hours. (Something
about an overtime budget?)
The carburetion system on the EU1000i & EU2000i is not a conventional float
but has a pumping system to draw the fuel from below carburetor level. By
utilizing this feature and high quality oil, one can get upwards of 100
hours (yes, one hundred hours) of run-time between fuel filling. Also, the
*very* low noise level of these units will leave your neighbors wondering
why your lights are on and theirs are not. You can defiantly carry on a
normal conversation while standing next to one of these running at full
load.
If you are interested in the full description of the converstion, I can send
full instructions and pictures with circles and arrows with a paragraph on
the back of each one describing the process.
If there is enough interest, I'll try to post here (but the pics just don't
come through the reflector very well!)

73 de KD4GT - Cliff
Reply to KD4GT at arrl.net