Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec reflector

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec reflector
From: jerome schatten <romers@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:26:06 -0700
Here's something I sent to the Jupiter list last night, where it appears an
increasingly restless bunch are waiting at the teat (I received no replies):

Jupitarians:

It must be abundantly clear by now that TT is not
going to devote scarce resources to Jupiter when their
'flagship' rig requires the meager resources they seem
to have available (do you read the TT Reflector?).

Better idea... With the stroke of a pen TT could
become the Linux of amateur radio. Instead of
pandering for TT to put more resources into Jupiter
firmware, why not petition them to release the source
code for the Jupe and GPL it?

That would allow developers of all stripes
(capitalists, anarchists, marxists, libertarians,
etc.) to develop the firmware and market it or give it
away  or....

This would be essentially no different than companies
providing a schematic and parts list in the old days
Folks modified the stuff as they saw fit: some
marketed kits; some did it themselves, etc.

The intellectual property that TT is sitting on w.r.t. to
the Jupiter firmware is DEAD STUFF... worth zero
dollars and zero cents if they have abandoned the
updates, eh?

The only thing good that can come of the firmware at
this stage is for TT to make the source code a present
to the ham community. What a concept.

Costs them nothing but makes them the next big thing
in ham radio.

Take that to the homecoming along with the petition.

Best regards,
jerome - VA7VV