Re: [TenTec]software vs. hdw. etc.

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec]software vs. hdw. etc.
From: Duane Grotophorst <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 15:06:10 -0700 (PDT)
Actually what I believe the point is that all the
required hardware to build a radio is basically just a
commodity (or should be by now) such that the
"experimentation" activity moves to the realm of being
more software and less hardware. The "hardware" that
we should be focusing on today when we are "building"
our radios should be done by using prefabricated
"board level" modules, - not stuffing discrete
components into a board. The Flex-Radio folks have
already nailed that concept square on the head. Who
knows maybe TT will soon figure it out too and follow
that same conceptual approach themselves. I do
sincerely doubt though that any of the the JA
companies will, - at least until the idea catches some
mass appeal.

Consider that back when more hams were building much
of their own gear years ago they still didn't make the
copper wire, the resistors, the tubes, etc. - they
bought them. Today technology has advanced far enough
that we don't (or shouldn't) really need to worry so
much about soldering individual components and the
other physical fabrication steps but instead more
board level assembly and "programming".

And no setting up the "menus" on a current generation
radio is not programming.

Duane
N9DG