RE: [TenTec] open source

To: johnclif@ix.netcom.com, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TenTec] open source
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 22:39:05 -0700
On 23 Sep 2004 at 21:40, John Clifford wrote:

> What needs to be done is this:
>
> Ten-Tec needs to rewrite/adapt their souce code so that it can be customized
> by the user.

Why?  How many T-T users are even barely qualified to read much
less change or alter the existing software?

Is this a T-T only issue?  When will Icom and Yaesu release the
source for their radios?

There'd be 3 guys who'd get it right and 1000 hacks (I'm trying to be
polite) who would end up with something to do in their spare time to
keep them out of the local watering hole, but who would have lots of
time to write dysfunctional code, more bad ideas than good,  and a
largely non-functioning hardware platform. Maybe it would keep
them busy and reduce band congestion, which would be a good
thing :-)

Open Source is a grand ideal, but you need a critical mass of real
interested  talent, an organization, standards committees, review
bodies, etc.  which I'd be happy to offer would be hard to come by.
The FLEX whatever-the-latest-version-is may be a fun project ... it's
certainly an intersting radio ...  but it isn't an Orion or 7800 or 9000
whatever-version..  Open Source isn't just a bunch of weekend
warriors writing bad code to implement equally bad ideas (and there
are a lot more bad ideas than good ones), or a guy writing a version
of the Unix kernel that passes the "it isn't Unix" smell test.  It's a very
structured and organized effort, that requires .. well ..a structured
and organized effort.

We could say the same thing about "open source" engine or
suspension control computers in cars.  Now that would be a kick ...
Why not ask BMW or Daimler-Chrysler to release their code and
provide driver programmability :-)

Grant/NQ5T