Re: [TenTec] open source

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] open source
From: "Ten-Tec Inc. Amateur Radio Sales" <sales@tentec.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 09:16:57 -0400
At 04:12 PM 9/23/04 -0700, you wrote:
 I think TT has a moral
obligation to either make it all happen or let someone else have a crack at
it.  There's no shame in this -- TT has not failed, rather they have led the
way. They fail only if they disappoint -- and I for one would be very
disappointed if they made a radio, wouldn't fix it and allowed no-one else
to fix it either.  Hopefully they're much smarter than to let that happen.

What is not understood about this discussion is that the DSP code takes a serious engineering effort to create and cannot be simply given away for anyone (including companies that compete with us) to use. We have lots of competition both in the amateur radio and non-amateur radio arenas; to simply give away our intellectual property would let others use our engineering effort to their advantage. Perhaps years from now, when current equipment is discontinued the possibility of making it available for use and experimentation could be discussed - but in the short term, there is no possibility of this happening.

Leaving aside the entire discussion of what a project it would be to try
to provide tech support for people troubleshooting their own version of
our code to make their radio do something specific and/or modify the
existing radio.

We do custom engineering work all the time.  There are customized
versions of DSP radios that we sell as off-the-shelf items out in circulation
right now - and there was a significant cost incurred for engineering time
to create these items.   The eventual owners of these custom radios
paid a hefty price to use our engineering time to modify our intellectual
property to get exactly what they wanted.

Slightly different topic:
I've been following the discussion about the recent lack of Jupiter updates
with a bit of trepidation.

We've taken a lot of heat over "look how many firmware updates
there have been for this rig..." and the converse is "After three years,
there haven't been recent updates coming for this rig..." - that's hard to
win either way.  Yes, updates for the Orion will continue until some
future date.  No, we haven't done any updates for the Jupiter since
fall of '03 after three years of issuing them.  That doesn't mean we
won't do them in future, however.

Scott Robbins W4PA
Amateur Radio Product Manager, Ten-Tec, Inc.

Ten-Tec, Inc., 1185 Dolly Parton Pkwy, Sevierville, TN 37862 USA
Contact Mon-Fri Eastern: Office/Tech (865) 453-7172 9 am-5 pm.
Repair (865) 428-0364 8-4. Sales (800) 833-7373 9 am-5:30 pm.
Fax (865) 428-4483 24 hrs. Visit us at <http://www.tentec.com>
Email: New product sales/product info sales@tentec.com
Service department service@tentec.com
While we make every effort to answer email in an expedient manner,
the telephone is a much more efficient tool for getting a quicker and
more complete answer to your inquiries. Thanks!