Re: [TenTec] New firmware for the Orion...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New firmware for the Orion...
From: "Tommy" <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 18:08:04 -0400
I don't understand why when someone highlites the fact that there is
problems still with the Orion's firmware, everybody has to jump to it's
defense. There are problems with the Orion, fortunately not many hardware
problems. Again fortunately, the firmware is improving, but VERY slowly. The
more effort that can be put into cleaning up the firmware, the happier users
are going to be. As Eric says, why even have an Orion if your not going to
use the features it has? Eric certainly has the right to be unhappy and
express that unhappiness when his Orion does not work as advertised.

Eric, I understand your frustrations. I have been complaining about some of
the basic features not working correct with my Orion and Titan 3 for over 12
months. What you find out when the respondants tell you they have never had
any problem, is that in most cases they are not even beginning to try to use
their Orion to it's max capability. It's just not worthwhile trying to find
technical help on this reflector. You will be talked back to like you are a
very basic novice, with no idea how to handle the Orion. The only exception
is the few private (off the reflector) responses from hams who do like to
use the features of the Orion, but find basically the same problems that you
find.

I know the firmware is improving, but the rate at which it improves almost
insinuates that Ten Tec is trying to shoot themselves in the foot. The Orion
is, in my opinion, the best hardware design of any amateur radio on the
market. The initial marketing 'glitter' of the Orion is over, and now there
are enough hams muttering about firmware that the second group with the
'let's wait and see' hams are certainly having second thoughts. I've had
more than one ham tell me privately that they are going to wait until all of
the Orion's features are functioning before they take the plunge.

Tom - W4BQF