[TenTec] callsigns - WAS: Extra Class Licensing

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] callsigns - WAS: Extra Class Licensing
From: "Paul Valko - W8KC" <w8kc@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 21:40:12 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Reid" <jimr.reid@verizon.net>

 Jim,  now W6KPI,  gave up the KH7M call a couple weeks ago,
went back to my 1950 call rather in protest to what is going
on now.  I no longer felt any pride whatsoever in holding a 2x1 call.
So I returned to what is certainly recognized as a very old call,  hi.

Jim,

That's funny, I always thought of guys with those 2x1 "metric" callsigns as being newbies :-) But now, a LOT of the new technicians are snapping up 1x3 "W" calls because they do not want to thought of as "newbies."

Sheeze, now whenever I hear a 1x3 on FM or SSB <grin> I almost always assume it's a new guy. NOTHING wrong with that, I think everyone oughta get a vanity call.

It seemed pretty clear to me that the 1x2 calls would be snapped up fast when that Gate 2 vanity thing happened about 8 years ago. That's why, after 21 years, I gave up my 2x3 call.

Sure glad I did too. Mine's great on QRP CW!

73! =paul= W8KC
Collector of Ten*Tecs and other fine plastics.
Visit the Virtual Ten*Tec Museum at http://mywebpages.comcast.net/w8kc
Listen to 7.040 MHz from anywhere with Media Player v9 http://www.w8kc.com/stream.asx