[TenTec] Re: Post Sweepstakes: FWIW

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Post Sweepstakes: FWIW
From: John Rippey <w3uls@3n.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 10:20:50 -0500
FWIW, my experience in the CQ SSB and the ARRL SS was as follows. A barefoot OMNI VI gave me everything I needed and more in the CQ SSB. Amazing performance on both receive and transmit. A modified FT-920 and the OMNI VI tied in the SS for CW receiver performance. On CW, I find the FT-920 generally easier to use--more amenities--but the OMNI VI is always there to step in if/when needed.

How strange that after four years of diddling with a bunch of transceivers (not including the PRO II or the Orion) I end up with the Omni VI and the (modified) FT-920 sitting side by side and the others either sold or up for sale.

I use two Carolina Windoms up about 45 feet from a QTH 150 feet over the Potomac River, about half a mile inshore on the Virginia side across from St. Clement's Island. Based on my experience, I think there is something to the notion of location, location, . . .

73,
John, W3ULS