Re: [TenTec] Switching between two Transverters on the Orion

To: k2xx@swva.net, tentec@contesting.com, orion@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Switching between two Transverters on the Orion
From: Duane Grotophorst <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 18:11:09 -0800 (PST)
--- Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net> wrote:

> I have been using a DEMI 6M transverter with the
> Orion.  Although I am
> having a minor problem with it, which may lie in the
> transverter and not
> the Orion, it is working quite well.  I recently
> picked up a used DEMI
> 2M transverter and would like to be able to switch
> between the two.  It
> would be necessary to switch three lines: RX IF, TX
> IF and the XVRTR
> KEY.  Assuming I were to use coax for all the
> connections, are there any
> special precautions to observe regarding the switch
> type and wiring?  Is
> such a switch advisable at all?  In other words
> would I be taking a
> chance in compromising transverter receive
> performance?
>
> I'd appreciate any input on these questions.
>
> Tnanks and 73,
>
> Joe
> K2XX

The key concern that I would have is port to port
isolation of the switch on the RX IF line.

Most switches fall into the range of 30-60db of
isolation, that does not seem like nearly enough for
when you have a strong RX signal on the "inactive"
transverter. So if the 6M band is wide open when you
are trying to work 2M around 144.200 you may actually
be hearing 6M sigs up around 50.200. Or a strong local
on 2M will show up as week signal on 6M.

I would not however be too concerned about signal loss
through such a switching arrangement and its
associated cables. The RX NF and sensitivity is
established in the first RF stage of the transverter
anyhow. The coax from the antenna to the transverter
is the much bigger concern.

Duane
N9DG