Re: [TenTec] WTB: Ten Tec Filters 217 and 219

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] WTB: Ten Tec Filters 217 and 219
From: "Tommy" <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 23:58:52 -0500
Tim,

Having tried what you want to try, if your a CW operator, let me suggest you follow a suggestion by Bill, W4ZV. Get the Inrad 600Hz roofing filter. As I don't operate SSB very often, I removed the 2.4kc roofing filter, moved the 1.8kc filter into the 2.4kc slot, moved the 1kc filter into the 1.8kc slot, and installed the 600 Hz roofing filter in the 1kc position. Even though I disabled my 500 Hz TT filter, I kept the 250Hz filter enabled. The 600 Hz 4-pole roofing filter is just excellent for CW operation. With the 500Hz filter disabled, my 250 hz filter kicks in/out with a DSP setting of around 290 hz. That gives me a 600hz bandwidth roofing filter with DSP bandwidth from 290 hz all the way up to about 1010 hz DSP bandwidth. Really does work good.

The 'problem' with what TT tried to do for us who already had TT 6 and 8-pole filters was because of the additional insertion loss of the 6 and 8-pole filters, they added a single stage amplifier in the 250 and 500 hz roofing filter position. This amplifier causes pretty serious rcvr degradation when encountering strong signals close to your operating frequency. The Irad (or any 4-pole filter) really works very good in the 1kc roofing filter position.

73,

Tom - W4BQF

----- Original Message ----- From: "NZ8J" <nz8j@woh.rr.com>