RE: [TenTec] Noise

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Noise
From: "ron" <roncasa@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 22:14:49 -0500
Sounds like a street lamp or a lamp on a building, look around after dark
and report it.

Ron wb1hga

TT'ers,

I have some ugly new noise at the QTH.  Starts out low and quickly builds
to S 5-6 (RF gain up, 500 hz filter) for 10-20 seconds, and then abruptly
stops.  It seems to cycle about once a minute.   The Omni 6+ NB does a good
job on it, but when a strong adjacent signal starts up (within 10 Khz or
so), I hear the guy's CW as raspy noise in my passband, and its strong
enough to wipe out  weak sigs.  The occurs when the noise is strong.  When
the noise is absent, I don't hear the garf from strong adjacent sigs.

Any idea on what  this type of noise is?  If its from a power line or
transformer, would it cycle like that?(I'm going fox hunting with a
portable AM radio tonight).

What causes me to hear the raspy CW when the noise is there, but not when
it isn't, and is there anything I can do about that?

73,

Ron - WA9IRV