Re: [TenTec] Omni 6 sensitivity

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni 6 sensitivity
From: DennisKT5D@aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 05:18:50 EST
   I had an Icom-765 for awhile which sported a very good receiver comlete
with all the filters for cw work. It had the PBT and IF shift mods done as
well.
I sat it down beside the Omni 6+ and did some testing. Ambient noise level on
both was almost identical with perhaps the edge to the 765. At the time the
765 was matching up with some plans I had for reconfiguring the shack so I was
about to decide to sell the Omni 6+. Then the CQ WW CW DX contest came along.
After A/B comparison during the contest, I abruptly changed my mind about
reconfiguring the shack and selling the Omni.
   What I discovered was this. I could tune between two strong US stations a
couple of kHz's apart with the Omni and copy a weak DX station, 3 to 4
s-units, easily.  Switching to the 765, I absolutely could not hear the weak DX
station. All I heard was an elevated noise floor due to the close in strong US
stations. Clearly, to my ears the Omni is the superior contest rig of the two.
The
765 could hear as well as the Omni in non-contest conditions so sensitivity
was not an issue. Both radios exhibited the high pitched hiss on white noise
but again, the 765 wasn't quite as bad as the Omni. The selectivity was what
really separated the two radios in contest performance.
   If your radio doesn't seem to be as sensitivity as it should be perhaps
there is a problem with it. The Omni's reputation is well earned here and the
765 is gone.