R: [TenTec] Orion / ACOM 2000A problem solved

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: R: [TenTec] Orion / ACOM 2000A problem solved
From: "I2DMI" <i2dmi@contestvolta.it>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:36:37 +0100
HI Barry,

my answer is YES (...and the amp is tuned to that freq, you get an ARC fault
if TX-VFOA and RX-VFOB) only if I move RX-VFOB on a different band;

my answer is NO  (...and the amp is tuned to that freq, you get an ARC fault
if TX-VFOA and RX-VFOB) if I move RX-VFOB on a same band.

I try to be as clear as possible (but it is quite difficult  for  me to say
that in perfect  English ..hi!)

(Test were made in FSK mode - 10 W drive output power when expected ARCF -
up to 50W when tune process was experienced be successful.)

- I don't get ARCF if I transmit:  TX-VFOA and RX-VFOA; TX-VFOB and RX-VFOB;
(led are on in same column) NO SPLIT OPERATION

- I get ARCF if I try to tune the ACOM:  TX-VFOA and RX-VFOB; TX-VFOB and
RX-VFOA;  (VFOS in two DIFFERENT HAM BANDS - led on in different columns)

(example VFOA-14Mc/VFOB-21Mc) CROSSBAND OPERATION

- I don't get ARCF if I try to tune the ACOM:  TX-VFOA and RX-VFOB; TX-VFOB
and RX-VFOA;  (but with VFO tuned in SAME HAM BAND - led on in different
columns) SPLIT OPERATION

(example VFOA-14.080 Mc/VFOB-14.270Mc). It is true also if TX and RX
frequencies are in two different ACOM freq. segment (VFO-A=14.000-14.100 /
VFO-B=14.100-14.200 segments)

- I get ARCF also when  I change the RX-VFO when the amplifier was
successfully tuned before.

I mean:  the  amplifier is tuned to the TX-VFOA  and RX-VFOA; I change
RX-VFOA in RX-VFOB;  (VFO in two DIFFERENT HAM BANDS). If I try to tune ACOM
I get ARCF error !!  Please note that the ACOM amplifier was already tuned
for that frequency. It has not to start any new tuning sequence !  Maybe it
reads a new - outside HAM's band - spurious frequency ??

I hope I have been clear. (? hi!)

Best 73 Frank I2DMI

Frank
are you saying that if VFO A and VFO B are on the same frequency and the amp
is tuned to that freq, you get an ARC fault if TX-VFOA and RX-VFOB and you
don't get an ARC fault if TX-VFOA and RX-VFOA, or is it a more complicated
scenario to induce an ARC fault?

73,
Barry N1EU