Re: [TenTec] Binaural CW for Tentec rigs - an easy way

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Binaural CW for Tentec rigs - an easy way
From: Jerry Volpe <kg6tt@tomorrowsweb.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 08:36:25 -0800
k7gt@charter.net wrote:

An easy way to add binaural CW would be to get a
Timewave 599ZX DSP box. The current firmware has a
binaural CW mode. I have seen these DSP boxes available used for ~150-200 dollars. The new firmware chip, if out
of date on the unit, is about $60 from Timewave.

73 Allan K7GT

Yes, easy. Not inexpensive (at least for some of us... SM0VPO's solution can cost less than $20 and what is wrong with building our own every once and a while :) ) and it is DSP/software based so unless it is working in the frequency domain and not the time domain (I hope I got that right) it will generate significant time delays between input and output signals. As most dedicated CW ops tend to enjoy QSK this could cause a significant problem.

I have NOT used the 599ZX so my thoughts on it are assumptions only. Anyone have one that they can do an audio comparison of input and output to see if there is a time shift/delay?

Jerry, KG6TT