[TenTec] Re: About the ACOM/Orion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Re: About the ACOM/Orion
From: "Lawrence Stoskopf" <stoskopf@tri.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 22:21:52 GMT
Come on guys, admit the real reason that you see a thread combining the Orion and ACOM. You have to be able to afford and Orion to consider the ACOM 2000! Or, if you can afford and ACOM (or it's near relation, the Alpha), you can afford an Orion.

As for operation. Plug in and forget, except when like me (who can't seem to get the Orion and SteppIR antenna to talk) you have a high antenna SWR and it burps and needs a reset. The burp to say "Dummy, give me a load I like." The backup amp, an AL1200 would just sit there and get hot depending upon a very tough 1200 tube.

N0UU

I am very curious about the ongoing thread on the Orion and the ACOM.
(The ACOM is a high-end linear amplifier?) Please, would someone take a moment and provide a brief summary of the ACOM, in particular what makes it unique and attractive overall. There seems to be a number of Orion owners who are using it.