Re: [TenTec] 2.8khz and Carrier Balance???

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 2.8khz and Carrier Balance???
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 18:42:55 -1000
Steve N4LQ wrote:

Would someone please explain to me what changing the filter from 2.4khz to 2.8khz has to do with carrier balance.
I see no relation. The carrier is nulled by balancing the dc voltage on U4 of the TX Audio board. No filter is anywhere near there. U4 feeds DSB into the 9mhz filter but the carrier must be nulled before it gets there so whats going on with all this carrier balance talk I keep reading about?????

Since the DSB output of the balanced modulator goes to the 2.4 or 2.8 kHz filter, changing the filter could possibly change the loading on the balanced modulator, requiring readjustment for best carrier null. I think that difference in filter loading on the balanced modulator is rather unlikely to make a significant difference. However since the filter is wider, and the point of this modification is to improve audio fidelity, lower frequency audio sidebands AND the carrier will be attenuated less by the wider filter. So in order to acheive the same carrier supression as with the narrower filter, the carrier null has to be adjusted more precisely.

DE N6KB