[TenTec] Orion mic preamp question

To: "Tentec Contesting" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion mic preamp question
From: "John Perkins" <john@jmp2.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:18:09 -0000
On Jan 12, I asked if anyone knew the best way to connect up
a mic preamp to the Orion. I have now built and tested the preamp
with the Yaesu MD-1 dynamic mic and found the following works fine:

Mic out    ---> preamp in/preamp out ---> Orion pin 1
Mic return ---> preamp ground        ---> Orion pin 2
PTT switch -----------------------------> Orion pin 3
PTT return ---> MD-1 metal chassis   ---> Orion shell
                preamp + supply      ---> Orion pin 4
Mic braid  ---> MD-1 metal chassis   ---> Orion shell

If I link pin 2 and the connector shell, I get a low-level
tone of 880 Hz plus digital hash in the background.
(The Spot control is great for measuring audio tones!)

Hope this is useful to those wishing to boost the output
from low-level dynamic mic inserts.

John  G3PPB