Re: [TenTec] Thanks but my antennas are fine :)

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Thanks but my antennas are fine :)
From: "Caitlyn M. Martin" <mizuhoradio@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 16:38:25 -0800 (PST)
Hi, Stuart,

--- Stuart Rohre <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu> wrote:

> Caity, it might not be the tuner overall, but just
> its balun,

Good thought but I don't believe an MFJ 971 tuner has
an internal balun.  In any case it's one of their
newer units.  It was when I took a peek inside that I
decided I just didn't like the way it is built.

> Put it via a one foot coax, on the UHF connector for
> unbalanced antennas on the MFJ.  You will enjoy
> higher Q tuning with definite settings for the
> bands in use.

Interesting.  I just used their connection for a
random wire.  I may have to try this if and when I
decide I want to try an MFJ again.

My current solution is a Mizuho Sky Coupler tuner I
already own with a Welz meter (20W and 2.5W scales :)
I have on the way.  When it arrives I'll see what the
little Mizuho can do on 17 with the wire.  I also
should be able to get the low end moved up from the
top of the back fence to the top of the tree (an
improvement of at least 20') which may make all the
difference in the world.  Weather permitting this will
happen Saturday.

I'm still wondering if I can come up with a resonant
design (trap dipole perhaps) that will fit in the
space I have and eliminate the tuner completely.

72/73,
Caity
K7VO/8

=====
Caitlyn M. Martin - K7VO
http://www.mizuhoradio.com/personal/k7vo
Blog: http://k7vo.blogspot.com
ARRL QRP-ARCI #11018 ARS #445 G-QRP #11577 AK QRP #637