Re: [TenTec] Contesting

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Contesting
From: "NJ0IP" <Rick@DJ0IP.de>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 05:29:30 -0800
Hi Malcolm,

Well there are quite a lot of us contesters who hang out here on the
reflector.  Peter (DL2NBU) is a real good friend of mine - we're both in the
BCC for almost 20 years.

I still run CT and prefer it over everything else I've seen.

I solved the problem with XP real easy.
Here is what I did:

- BEFORE installing XP, I partitioned my disk with a low level partitioning
program.  In my case I used Disk Wizard from Seagate.

- The first partition is 512 MB in size and then formatted from a bootable
floppy disk using "format c:/sys", which also installs a minimum bootable
DOS O/S on the C partition.  You boot it, install CT, and away you go.

- The rest of the disk is partitioned as D and you install WindowsXP to
partition D.  I actually split that into two partitions and use D for the
O/S and E for user data.

When you do it exactly in this order, XP automatically creates a "Boot
Manager" which, each time you turn on the machine (or re-boot), displays a
boot menu giving you the chance to select either Windows XP or DOS.  The
default is Windows XP so if you don't do anything, after about 20 seconds it
automatically boots the XP partition.  If you just hit carriage return, it
immediately boots the XP partition.

The DOS partition (on C) actually shows itself as a Windows partition within
the boot menu, but ignore that.  If you select it with the mouse or by
hitting the down arrow once and then hitting <Return>, DOS boots in about 5
seconds!  Then you can run CT directly from the C partition.

After the contest, after you have performed SAVELOG, WRITELOG, and WRITECAB,
you can exit DOS, boot back into XP and you can copy or modify the files
generated above as desired using Word or WordPad, etc.

The result is a normal XP computer, with the option to quickly reboot
directly into DOS and run CT.  When I turn the computer power on, it takes
only about 15 seconds to get CT running.

Most of the others in my club give me a hard time for still running DOS and
CT, but as a single user, I don't see any reason to use anything else.
Maybe I'm just getting old and resistant to change.  I have 57 turns on the
coil!

73
Rick