Re: [TenTec] OT: Heathkit HA14 measurements?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: Heathkit HA14 measurements?
From: Tim Soxman <tims@hhs.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 14:28:39 -0500
Heathkit HA-14 SSB Linear Amplifier

The amplifier is 12-13/16" wide x 3-3/16" high x 10" deep.
Band Coverage is 80, 40, 20, 15, and 10 meters.
Power input SSB: 1000 watts P.E.P.
Driving power up 100 watts for full output.
Output Impedance 50 ohms unbalanced, SWR not to exceed 2:1.
Input Impedance 52 ohms unbalanced; broad-band pretuned input (circuit
requires no tuning)
Meter Functions Relative power and 1:1 to 3:1 SWR.
Front Panel Controls Tune: 80, 40, 20, 15, and 10 meters.
Band 80, 40, 20, 15, and 10 meters.
Relative Power Sensitivity control.
Meter switch: FWD And SWR.
Power switch: OFF, ON.
Tube Complement Two 572-B (or two T160-L) in parallel.
Power Requirements 2000 volts DC at 500 ma and -120 volts DC at 60 ma,
an 12.6 Volts Dc at 4 amperes.
Net Weight 7 Lbs.

Now lets get to how well it operates, In the real world, it will run 500
watts output useing a Bird model 43 watt meter. I have only checked it on
80, 40, and 20 meters, but i am sure it will be a little less on 15, and
10 meters. There is no standby position so you can not use your exciter
barefoot unless you turn it off. Also i would use a small 12 volt muffin
fan above the 572-b tubes to keep them cool. (There is no internal fan).
As you can see with no fan it is very quite. I am useing brand new
Taylor matched 572-b tubes.
The original tubes Heathkit used in this model was Cetron 572-B/T160L.

To operate the HA-14 mobile amplifier you set the band switch to the
disired band, do not turn it on. Load the exciter in a normal manner at the
desired frequency. The FWD and SWR functions of the Amplifier meter can
be used in loading the exciter. Reduce the drive level of the exciter to a
minimum. Turn on the HA-14 Amplifier and apply a small amount of RF from
the exciter. Peak the tune control for maximum REL PWR on the HA-14
Amplifier meter.

The reason i went through the tune up is to show that you only use two
knobs, band switch and tune control. The matching AC supply is the HP-24
and the matching DC supply is the HP-14.

I have used it mobile and except for replaceing the tubes (30 years old
original tubes) i have had no troubles with the HA-14 amplifier or the
DC and AC power supplies. If you
can find one it is still one of the best tube amps for mobile going. I
am also useing the HA-14 with my Ten Tec Corsair II at home. (not for sale)

Mike (W6THW)

If you have any questions, problems, or suggestions about Reviews,
please email your Reviews Manager <mailto:productreviewsmaster1@eham.net>.

<http://www.eham.net/ads/click.php3?bannerID=178>