[TenTec] Omni C drive

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni C drive
From: "Paul DeWitte K9OT" <k9ot@mhtc.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 00:12:17 -0600
I used an Omni C as my main station for many years. More CW than SSB.
On SSB if you have the drive turned up too far so the alc is on most of the
time you will sound distorted. If you get honest signal reports they will
tell you it sounds like overdrive. Turn it back to when the alc  comes on on
voice peaks, everything is fine. I used an Electrovoice 638 mike and also a
T T 705 or whatever the desk mike number is. Goy good audio reports on both
mikes.

If you are running off of a battery, make sure that the voltage is as far
above 12v as possible.
I used to put a trickle charger on the battery when that was what I used.
You will have to turn up the drive farther to get the alc to light using a
battery as there will be 1+ volt less than using a power supply.

Too low of voltage and you will get VERY bad audio reports. Both CW and SSB.

I still have the Omni C,  great rig, but now use an Omni VI+ and Corsair II.
The Omni C and 444 amp was a great combination.
Enjoy 73 Paul K9OT