Re: [TenTec] TT vs. Palstar Antenna Tuner

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TT vs. Palstar Antenna Tuner
From: n4in@insightbb.com
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 23:13:01 +0000
Jeff,
I have had a 238 and now have the Palstar AT4K and love it. Tunes everything
effortlessly at 1200-1300W out, station is TT Omni VI+ with Centurion that does
about 1200+ on all bands. I use mine for a few different wire antennas that I
use and it never arcs plus is very repeatable on its settings, consistent. Nice
tuner, a bit pricey but has very good quality inside. Meter is OK, accurate to
bird but SWR is a little more sensitive, forward PEP seems accurate but
reflected seems a little high reading causing higher than actual SWR. I came
very close to buying a XMatch tuner from Paul, N4XM, a local retired EE who
designed and builds these in a couple different configurations, one with air
core capacitors and another with vacuum variable capacitors. The cheapest
version is about $1250. I will say this though it is an exception tuner but I
can almost have two AT4K's for that price, I got my AT4K at Dayton for about
$750.
73,
Dave, n4in