Re: [TenTec] Hercules II power output (low?)

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Hercules II power output (low?)
From: Alan Zaur <AlanZaur@Adelphia.Net>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 22:03:54 -0500
jon_kanter@charter.net wrote:

>Hi All,
>I recently purchased an old Hercules II power amp. I'm running it on a marine
>deep cycle battery that I got at Walmart (115AmpHour- biggest one they had),
>with a 15amp charger.
>The problem is that the amp doesn't appear to produce rated power on all
>bands. In fact, driving it with a 100W transmitter, I can only get the rated
>500W output on 10m. On 40m and 20m I can only get about 300W out. This is
>either into a dummy load or the antenna tuner.
>
>The schematic shows pots for bias adjustment, but no indication of what it
>should be.
>
>I called Ten-Tec, but they just recommended to send it in for service. I
>thought I'd first see if anybody on this list had some knowledge about this
>they were willing to pass along. Does anyone out there have experience that
>might be of help?
>
>Appreciate any assistance you can provide.
>Thanks!
>73,
>Jon AF1M

Hi Jon,

That is a strange problem.  Generally speaking, you would expect to get
more output on the lower bands from a Herc II than on 10.  Hard to
figure.......

I am back from my travels and can probably work in a sked this weekend
if you are planning to be around.  Either early or late in the day is
best since I have a variety of chores that I should attend to.  I also
bought a fancy new bike that I am trying to ride as much as possible to
offset the guilt I feel for spending so much money on a bicycle at my
advanced age.  There was a time when I biked 100 miles a week.  I
haven't ridden that much in the past ten years.

Are you sure that the input filters on the Herc II are okay?

Alan