[TenTec] Popping Noise from Orion and Centurion

To: "Ten Tec List" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Popping Noise from Orion and Centurion
From: "Toby Pennington" <toby423@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2005 20:43:29 -0400
Ken,  Thanks for your thoughts on the popping.  I am using paddles for keying
the rig and amp.  In the menu it is called SSB:CW Jack PTT.  This in effect
keys the rig and amp on SSB but puts no power out unless I talk into the mike.
So, it doesn't matter what the power setting is on the Orion,  the popping is
still there as long as the amp is being keyed.  When the amp is not being
keyed, no popping is noticed.  I also can use the PTT button on the mike and
the same results occur. So, the pops are still there when I am not generating
any RF at all.  Simply just keying the rig and amp with no output.........Of
course, when i talk into the mike the pops are there also.  Same popping occurs
when using  VOX.  So, in summary,  just keying the rig and amp with no output
at all produces popping.

When you say, "keying the load on the power supply" I assume you are referring
to the supply in the amp?  Also,  explain where"relay coil switching" occurs.

One of my first thoughts was RF getting into the keying line, but I hooked the
dummy load directly into the amp and could still hear the popping, but it was
not as loud.  So, it is is RF, then it is being internally generated and not
coming from the antenna.

Thanks for your help!   Toby W4CAK