Re: [TenTec] Real CW

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Real CW
From: K5lxz@wmconnect.com
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:49:13 EDT
In august I will have been a ham for 48 years.   And, it seems to me that the
attitude of "getting something for nothing" or "of ot isn't easy then I am
not interested" is a prevailing attitude of many who claim to seek a ham
license.  As for me, I try to be patient with these attitudes but sooner or
later one
must quit wasting time with those who really do not want it and concentrate
on those who show more interest and extend  significant effort to learn.  A
"want to be" who does not practice or even attempt to memorize does not really
want to learn.
Think back to when you were a "young timer" and recollect what you did to
learn.
And, did you really have a mentor holding your hand ALL the way???

I am not advocating 'do nothing to help' but I do borrow from an old bible
philosophy of dusting my shoes off and moving on to more fertile ground.   When
to dust is a judgement call but I think most are capable of making the call
after sufficient time has lapsed.   In short, those who REALLY want to learn
will learn and there is little we can do to stop them.   On the other hand,
those
who really do not want to learn(for what ever reason) will NOT learn and
there is little one can do to help them.
However, one should not close the door, because somewhere in the future a NON
learner may just decide to learn and we should be equally ready to help them.

73,
Ray
W5EW