[TenTec] Omni VI freq instability (30m) apparently solved

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI freq instability (30m) apparently solved
From: <k7gt@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 21:43:51 +0000
A week or so ago I posted a problem with reported frequency
instability on my OmniVI when operating on 30m. Since then
I have tried an experiment wherein I left the power supply
on rather than turning it on only when about to operate. It
turns out that the temporary station location is quite cold
(something like 45-50 deg F) and is apparently the culprit.
A few contacts Sunday evening gave a clean bill of health
for cw note and stability. So... keep that power supply
on if your station gets cold.

After that test, I happened upon an amazing opening to
EU on 30m. In the course of 1.5 hours, I worked over 30
stations ranging from France to European Russia, Ukraine,
and Belarus. I also heard and worked 3B8CF (a dupe) who
was calling CQ with no takers. FO/N6JA also passed through.
Now to get a beam for 30m...

Rig: OmniVI/opt3 and Hercules II at 200W, ant dp at 60 ft.

73 Allan K7GT