Re: [TenTec] FCC examiner in Chicago (OT?)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] FCC examiner in Chicago (OT?)
From: We5f@aol.com
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 21:54:10 EDT
Thanks, Ron, for sharing those wonderful memories.  This is, indeed, the
stuff of which ham radio is made.

Every time I relive my similar trip to the local courthouse to be examined by
the FCC in 1964, I get goosebumps!  Quite a feeling of accomplishment for a
12-year-old.  Another precious memory, this one from 1968, is when I opened the
box marked "Drake", and my 17-year-old gaze fell upon my brand, spanking new
R-4B receiver.  Along with an early influx of birthday cash from the parents,
I had cut MANY a yard to earn the money.  Oh, how I wish I had kept that
receiver!

The memories get more fuzzy as each year goes by.
Thanks for sharing.  73, Jim K5HO

In a message dated 4/12/2005 11:02:02 AM Central Standard Time,
tentec-request@contesting.com writes:

> Not really a TenTec topic but the string started so I'll add to it. I
> remember taking the train from Elmhurst, about 20 miles west of downtown
> Chicago, into the city to take the exam. Made the trip with a ham friend who
> was going for his Advanced. I was going for my general.

<snip>