Re: [TenTec] Paragon II display freezing up

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Paragon II display freezing up
From: dnelsen@integraonline.com
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 21:35:07 -0700 (PDT)
> Sounds like the power supply may be developing a problem, and a low
> voltage
> could result in the symptoms you describe. I'd suggest checking the output
> voltage and then doing some checking to see if you've lost half the bridge
> rectifier or something. BTW, my 961 is quiet.
>
> =Vic=
> WA4THR
> From:  designer <designer@quickdata.com>
> Date:  Sat, 16 Apr 2005 17:32:30 -0700
>
>  From time to time the display on my Paragon II goes blank (I think
> the VFO A light is still on). At that time, the audio still works - I
> can still hear the station I was listening to - but the tuning dial
> has no effect - like it has gone into "lock" mode and blanked the
> display.  Everything is fine once I restart.
>
> I do have other rigs about and a computer, but I am not transmitting
> on another rig when this happens. Is this a sign of more problems to
> come? Is it a major problem to fix it?
>
> The PS,  model 961, has a low hum. Hardly noticeable when computer
> fans are on - but clearly louder than the 937 and a small Samlex I
> have. Is that normal for that vintage technology or can replacing
> some parts quiet it down to "silent" level.
>
> Thanks and 73,
> Paul

Hum in a power supply especially a vintage one would tend to imply the
failure of the smoothing Cap.  You may want to replace it as the ripple
will only get worse.  You should be able to locate a high quality
replacement from Digikey and many others.  If you have a O-scope take a
look and see if the noise is centered around 120 Hz.  Good luck and 73,
Dave AB0N