Re: [TenTec] cw creation

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] cw creation
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 07:07:17 -1000
Sound cards generate sound. Using a sound card to generate a CW signal
with a SSB transmitter would generate a single CW signal on the air,
which would be just a pure as the audio coming out of the sound card.
There would also be a certain amount of opposite sideband signal, since
no SSB radio has absolutely perfect opposite sideband suppression, and a
third "carrier" signal, since no SSB rig has absolutely perfect carrier
suppression. There could also be noise produced by the sound card, the
TX audio stages of the transceiver or picke up by the inteconnecting
cables and such. I could be wrong about the opposite sideband and
carrier suppresion when it comes to "Digital" radios such as the Orion.
Maybe they are "perfect" in that regard. In any case the best way to get
a clean CW signal out of most rigs is to use CW mode and an key input,
NOT SSB and a keyed audio tone input.

DE N6KB