[TenTec] Backup Batteries (was - boost mobile voltage?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Backup Batteries (was - boost mobile voltage?
From: "W1GOR" <W1GOR@Maine.RR.Com>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 08:17:43 -0400
While following the discussion of boosting mobile voltage and operation with
deep cycle batteries, I was reminded of a method that is used in battery
backup systems for commercial two-way radio, and microwave systems.

In these systems, an additional '2.2 volt cell' is inserted in series with
the main battery supply, increasing the overall supply voltage from 13.2
volts to 15.4 volts.  The additional 2.2 volts is offset by series-connected
diodes, called a CEMF cell, providing a voltage drop equal to the additional
battery cell.   A relay contact, is connected across the diodes, and
controlled by a voltage sensing circuit (comparator).

During normal operation, a 'float' charger keeps the batteries charged to
15.4V (13.2V plus the additional 2.2V cell).  The relay contact is kept
'open' in order for the diodes to drop the voltage back to 13.2 volts, by
compensating for the additional cell voltage.   When the primary AC power
fails, the charger drops off-line and the radio system continues to operate
normally.  Eventually, depending upon the load, the battery voltage drops to
a level where the relay contact 'closes', bypassing the diodes, thereby
eliminating the voltage drop, and restoring the operating voltage to a
nominal level of 13 (plus) volts.  This operation is 'seamless', in that
there is no interruption of radio service.   Depending upon individual
system designs, more than one CEMF cell might be inserted, increasing the
time that the system is able to operate.

Some research into commercial battery backup and charging systems will yield
more details that may be applicable to field day and emergency operations.

73, Larry - W1GOR, ARRL 40 year Life Member