Re: [TenTec] Orion reviews

To: <k8do@mailblocks.com>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion reviews
From: "Toby Pennington" <toby423@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 22:25:11 -0400
The Ten-Tec showroom is the worst place you could choose to play with an
Orion. The line noise in that shop is terrific, easily S-9 on some bands,
and it almost never goes away in the daytime. And like you said the bands
have been very bad lately. Also, you have to spend some time with the Orion
to appreciate the benefits of its superior receiver and flexibility of the
radio in general.

Having said that, the software still needs work and hopefully the 2.0
version will clear up any remaining issues.

It is interesting to visit the plant and see all the older gear on display
in the radio room. The history of several decades of Ten-Tec rigs is all
there to see and think about.  The Omni 6 is on one of those shelves and and
is a part of the technology of the past decade.  But a new day is dawning,
and the Jupiter and Orion are the beginning of a new technology that will
someday be accepted with enthusiasm just as the Omni 6 was in its day.

Toby  W4CAK