Re: [TenTec] Orion ASCII command info

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion ASCII command info
From: "Martin, AA6E" <martin.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 11:26:12 -0400
A few functions might not be available via the computer port without
extra hardware - for example, the power on/off.  (It would be handy to
have a computer controlled "sleep" mode, though, to save batteries in
portable operation, etc.)

The other moderately hard function to provide is a readout of the
sweep spectrum display.  <Insert comment on value of sweep function
here!>

Most all the buttons, knobs, and menus  are sensed and acted upon by
firmware routines.  It should be possible to call the same routines
from the serial port commands in most cases.  The missing operations
were just never implemented, I expect.  TT rightly has to judge
whether it's worth their time to go and do all this for the limited
number of users who care.  (Sigh.)

After they get the serial port fixed up, I'd like to see a proper
digital interface for audio in/out (S/PDIF or your choice).  After
that's working, how about 14 kHz digital IF outputs?  You'd need a
little more hardware, but not much.  (Could somebody make an add-on
board?) These functions would open a world of options for
computer-based operations.

73 Martin AA6E

--
martin.ewing@gmail.com