Re: [TenTec] Burned at the bay. The real story.

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Burned at the bay. The real story.
From: "Ron Notarius" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 13:19:21 -0400
Mike,

>From 30 years experience (going back to my teenage days as a Novice) with
hamfests and ham auctions...

Yes, many of the items for sale should have gone to the dump or other
appropriate recycling facility.  The percentage may vary, but it's always
been that way.  But remember:  Some junk are treasures that simply need TLC,
some visibly beautiful items are totally trashed inside.

Yes, misrepresentations take place on-line.  And in person.  As it has
always been.  Unfortunately, it is a myth that all hams are honest.  My
experience is most, the vast majority are -- but there have always been
those few.

The advantage to a hamfest, or swap-n-shop, or whatever, should be that we
can get "hands on" experience prior to buying.  Sadly, too few sellers take
advantage.  When I'm at a 'fest, I try to make sure that I have power at my
table(s) so that any rigs and/or computers I have for sale can be tested and
checked over.  Saves aggravation for me, and that way, the buyer should have
no complaints.  Only time I had a complaint, turned out that the buyer had
dropped the CPU on his way to the car, damaging the hard drive.  But since
everyone knew that the machine had been running on my table most of the day,
he couldn't legitimately claim that I sold him a lemon.

Caveat Emptor indeed!

73, ron wn3vaw