[TenTec] Burned at the bay

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Burned at the bay
From: D Carlisle <w0uhf@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 08:17:59 -0700 (PDT)
I recently bought a 580 Delta on Ebay also.  The
seller said it was in excellent condition.  When I
asked him if the PTO needed to be rebuilt, he said
that he didn't know that there was anything wrong with
it. Of course all of these auctions state no warranty.
The PTO has backlash and also slips in spots.  The
notch control makes a horrible crackling sound when
turned.  The rig looks more scratched up than you
could tell in the pictures. And it has an audio
oscillation.  When you switch the usb/lsb/cw control
there is a large pop which most of the time results in
a continous high pitched tone with the S meter going
to S9. And of course I got in to a bidding war so I
paid much more than I would have like to.

Ok...looking for some advice...
I guess a PTO rebuild is pretty much par for the
course for a used Tentec.  I've never done this
before. How hard is it?
Will a shot of Radioshack contact cleaner be fine for
the notch pot?
I'm figuring the audio oscillation is probably due to
a dried out aluminum electrolytic somewhere from the
product detector dual gate mosfet to the audio
section.
I'm thinking of replacing all of the miniture aluminum
electrolytics with tatalums and the rest of the
electrolytics with low ESR panasonics from digikey.
I'll start with the dectector and audio boards and see
if that takes care of the oscillation and do the rest
when I have time.
I haven't even tried to transmit.  I figure I should
replace all of the electrolytics first in case
something shorts and blows a device in the process.

Yahoo! Mail