Re: [TenTec] Phase Noise on Jupiter

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Phase Noise on Jupiter
From: "n4lq" <n4lq@iglou.com>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 15:36:19 -0400
This is typical of Peg/Jupes. It is also on transmit but usually not
noticable unless the signal is super strong like S9+30db. You can see
the phase noise on the ARRL expanded report. It's many db down from the
carrier but still higher than most rigs. It seems to originate in the
first conversion stage, 45mhz or whatever. Also I've noticed some rigs
have it worse than others. On Pegasus's it sounds "hissy" and on some
Jupiters it sounds raspy. Years ago when the Peg was introduced I bought
one and the 45mhz osc. was microphonic. You could modulate the carrier
by tapping on the cabinet! I got a few T8 reports and shipped it back to
TT. After 2 weeks, they concluded that they all sound that way. I got a
prompt refund. Recently I tried another one, much newer. No sign of the
same trouble and rather clean carrier. Your mileage will vary on these
rigs.

Steve N4LQ