[TenTec] Eliminating BCI Overload

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Eliminating BCI Overload
From: Jerry Volpe <kg6tt@tomorrowsweb.com>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 16:47:04 -0700
There are quite a few Ten-Tec's in my shack and all of them suffer from
BCI overload to one extent or another. Truth is I have two AM
broadcasters within 1 mile of my location. This is what I have noticed:

1. My HyGain AV-640 vertical produces significantly greater BCI overload
than does my MA5B or my B&W folded dipole.
2. From worst to best: RX-350, Jupiter, Century 21, Scout, Paragon,
Omni-C, Omni-VI+
3. My TS-940SAT is fairly immune to the BCI overload (internal tuner in
or bypassed)..
4. Using an antenna tuner that acts as a high-pass filter eliminates the
BCI overload (MFJ-986 Differential-T)
5. Using L-style tuners are far less effective in eliminating BCI
overload (AT-11MP, Ten-Tec 229A)
6. Installing an I.C.E. model 406 BCB receive/transmit high-pass filter
(3.5-30 MHz)  immediately after the transceivers takes care of all my
BCI issues. This filter allows you to transmit through it (100 watts or
so). I.C.E. has a filter that passes 160 meters too but I don't recall
that model number.

So my answer was to add the high-pass filter.

73,
Jerry, KG6TT