Re: [TenTec] ORION BCI

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION BCI
From: "Martin, AA6E" <martin.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 14:01:51 -0400
I'm not sure what you mean by "inline".  The Orion attenuator comes
after the diode switching matrix and voltage limiting (+/- 5 V)
diodes, some of which are being driven nonlinear IMO.  If other common
rigs don't have this problem, it is likely to be an oversight in the
Orion design.  Maybe the voltage clamp should come after the
attenuator.  So far as I know, nobody puts a spec on max. Rx input
voltage for normal operation, but maybe they should.

Keep in mind that an agressive diode clamp on the input protects the
Rx input amp, so it's a tradeoff.  What is the actual BC input
voltage?  Do we know?

The good news is that the BCI problem probably doesn't affect many
users, and it's fairly easy to deal with.  Do multi-Tx contest or FD
stations have any problem?

73 Martin AA6E

martin.ewing@gmail.com
http://blog.aa6e.net